Perivolakia, Pylos, Kalamata, Messinia
A beautiful little village is both our and Orion 1966’s birthplace and home; a village which, when seen, prompts one’s mind to instantly think of Virgil’s Georgics (Book II, 458-460):
“O fortunatos nimium, sua si bona norint,
Agricolas, quibus ipsa, procul discordibus armis,
Fundit humo facilem vietum justissima tellus!”
Oh how happy those farmers would be, if only they realised their blessings. For them, far from the din of war, the earth, supreme in justice, unpromptedly pours forth a rich livelihood.
Fully aware of the Earth’s endowments -so well praised by Virgil-, our village enjoys many sunny days throughout the year, while its mild winters and short distance from the sea provide with ideal conditions for our olive plantations’ growth and well being. Yet, the wider area around the village produces not only olives and olive oil, but history as well; in both cases much more than it can consume: ever since its founding approximately 4,000 years ago till its central role in liberating Greece in 1830 (Naval Battle of Navarino) and through the 19th and 20th centuries, Pylos and Messinia always occupied a salient position in Peloponnese’s economy, politics and culture.
As of today, Messinia has been proclaimed as one of Europe’s most beautiful destinations.